Pages

6.13.2011

Indian crispy pan fried okra (Bhindi Masala) for dinner

I grew up on my mother's Indian cooking. Until today she remains the best cook I know and has thoroughly spoiled me and the rest of my family with her delicious food. It's so bad (but so good obviously...) that if I don't get the standard of food that I'm used to for a long period of time, I will throw an internal temper tantrum, and just because it's internal doesn't mean it's not ugly!

For dinner tonight, I made one of her very simple recipes for okra. Seeing as how I'm still on my healthy food diet, this dish was perfect as a side dish.

 
Indian Crispy Pan Fried Okra (Bhindi Masala)
Servings: 2+

Ingredients:
1 package of frozen, sliced okra (Pictsweet is my mom's favorite brand)
1 small onion thinly sliced (I used red onions)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp canola oil

Directions:
1. Heat the canola oil in a saucepan or large frying pan. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes.
2. Add the dry spices to the onions. Stir-fry for a minute, then add the okra to the pan and mix together with the onions.


3. Leave the okra to cook, uncovered on medium heat until done. Stir everyonce in a while. The Okra and onions should be soft and browned and slightly crispy around the outside when finished. It may take 10+ minutes. Adjust the seasonings as necessary after tasting.

This recipe is delish and super simple as well - Enjoy!

1 comment:

I always appreciate your comments!