Pages

6.21.2011

Lunch: Grilled vegetable sandwich

While driving home from a mini vacation at the beach a few months ago, my boyfriend and I stopped at a Five Guys because I was feeling very thirsty. I had been to a Five Guys before many years ago with some friends, but since I didn't eat any of the products offered on the menu, i.e. beef burgers, I kind of just wandered around the restaurant eating the peanuts out of the barrels as people glanced at me sideways. I didn't expect anything more out of this stop so, I sent the boyf in for a cup of water. 10 minutes later he emerged with not only water, but a grilled vegetable sandwich! Five Guys serves grilled vegetable sandwiches? News to me! I sat and sipped my cup of water as he ate and proclaimed his gustatory satisfaction at every bite. He really liked that sandwich. That's probably why I didn't even get a crumb of it.  But, no matter because today, I made my own!


This is one of the most flavorful sandwiches I've ever had, plus super healthy! The boyf really liked it too so it definitely measured up to the Five Guys version.

Here's the recipe:

Grilled vegetable sandwich
Servings: 2 (makes two sandwiches)

Ingredients:
1/2 of a zucchini
1/2 of a long sweet red pepper
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (any kind)
2 thick slices of a red onion
1/2 to 1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp Sriracha (optional)
2 slices of preferred cheese (I used pepper jack)
4 slices of bread
salt and pepper to taste
ketchup and mustard

Directions:
1. Slice up your zucchini and red pepper, preferably into 1/2 cm thick slices. I bought the mushrooms pre-sliced and I took two slices out of a big red onion (about 1 cm in thickness). I sliced up my vegetables in rounds so that they'd be easy to place on a sandwich. By the way, use whichever vegetables you like best! These are our favorites.


2. Place all vegetables in a bowl or other dish, then add olive oil, sriracha, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all up. If you've never had sriracha sauce, it's absolutely delicious but spicy. You can find it most supermarkets in the international or condiments aisle. I didn't find the spice overpowering in this dish, but then again I love my spicy food. If you're averse to spicy food, feel free to leave it out!


 3. Grill your vegetables until they are to your liking. I grilled mine on a grill pan, while stirring from time to time. I also covered it with a baking sheet for a while to help them steam a bit. Meanwhile, toast your bread slices.


I like my vegetables soft but with a teency bit of crispiness left. Look at those pretty grill marks.


4.  Now it's time to assemble the sandwiches. On a slice of toasted bread, I first layered on the vegetables, then added a slice of pepper jack cheese, a couple slices of pickles, and deli style mustard. You can of course add any other condiments you would like. The boyf likes ketchup on his. And, you're done!


I hope you enjoy! If you try it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your comments!